A unique ecolodge in the cloud forests of Ecuador, Tinalandia rests on the Western slope of the the Andes, at the southern end of the Choco bio-region. At an ideal altitude of 2,000 feet above sea level, Tinalandia is one of the most biodiverse places on Earth.
Close to Quito
Located less than two hours away from Quito, Tinalandia is one of the most easily-accessed wildlife preserves from Ecuador's capital, and makes an ideal extension to any trip to the Galapagos.
Tinalandia is perhaps best known for its exceptional birdwatching opportunities, offering some of the best birdwatching in Ecuador and, for that matter, South America. Over 350 species have been recorded within the grounds of our ecolodge, by some of the world´s most renowned birding experts
Tinlandia has been offering "eco-tourism" since before the word existed, and we were one of the pioneers in eco-tourism in Ecuador and South America. Read this account of Tinalandia by Paul Greenfield, illustrator of the authoritative field guide "Birds of Ecuador" (Cornell University Press, 2001).
Tinalandia is a working hacienda (ranch) of historical significance and offers services and accommodations a "notch above" most eco-lodges. We provide our guests with variety of activities that entire families can share and enjoy.
The Galapagos awaits as a incredible, world-renowned destination to explore while you're in Ecuador. Located just 600 miles west from the coast of Ecuador (roughly a 3.5-hour plane ride) the Galapagos Islands are definitely worth checking out due to their close proximity and the treasures it harbors.
Consisting of 61 islands and islets (with 13 main islands), the archipelago is a hot-spot for those looking to experience ecological marvels, beautiful beaches and a plethora of living ecosystems. After all, this is the place where Charles Darwin himself observed an astounding number of adaptations made by both the flora and fauna on the island - an experience which eventually lead him toward his theory of evolution!
While you're in the Galapagos, you can take part in a variety of different activities in and around the islands. This can range anywhere from placidly cruising around and exploring the islands aboard a luxurious ship or, alternatively, a more "hands-on" experience involving hiking, snorkeling and kayaking around the numerous locations.
Whatever it is you're looking for, the Galapagos is sure to have it in terms of scenic beauty, mesmerizing wildlife and an unforgettable experience!
Vía Aloag - Santo Domingo de los Colorados, km 85
The Tinalandia experience is an absolute must for newcomers to the joys of the neotropics and its birding.
- Tinalandia now offers Galapagos tours! Environmentally-responsible travel to these unique and breathtaking islands. See the panel at left for more details.
- NEW! Video of a White-tipped Sicklebill hummingbird taken at Tinalandia
- What can birders expect at Tinalandia? See Birding at Tinalandia
- Video of a Long-billed Starthroat hummingbird taken at Tinalandia
- Read the birding report by Thomas H. Davis & Clive Green
- The complete Species List of birds recorded at Tinalandia
- Tinalandia is great place to see butterflies!
What Visitors Say...
- Paul Greenfield on his first visit to Tinalandia, and its continued importance as a wildlife sanctuary.
- ...more guest reports
- Ecuador Explorer - resources for planning your trip to Ecuador